Mini Banana Muffins with Nutella

Another day, another banana muffin version. I'll never run out of ideas, that is clear. But this batch is extra special because I topped uber scrumptious banana muffins with a chocolate-hazelnut drizzle. Let's recap: moist (almost creamy), banana-rich muffins, spruced up with a ribbon of sweet and nutty Nutella. Life is good.

Let's face it, banana muffins (and banana bread for that matter) are ALWAYS a hit. The batter is sweet and moist, and when baked into muffins and bread, the edges get caramelized and golden. It's 100% awesome.

That's why I'm always revamping my basic recipe. For example, I swapped out the fat and replaced it with avocado in my Avocado Banana Muffins. I stuffed muffins with candy in my Reese's Stuffed Banana Muffins. I pureed cookies into my Oreo Banana Muffins. I added cinnamon and sugar and created Snickerdoodle Banana Muffins. I loaded the batter with chocolate in my Healthy Double Chocolate Banana Muffins. And I added strawberries in two different recipes: my Strawberry Banana Smoothie Muffins, and my Strawberry Banana Muffins. That's just the muffins - don't get me started on my variations of banana bread...

My point is, there's no limit to the amount of creations you can made with this amazing, and easy batter. And, I use a generous amount of Greek yogurt in this version, which replaces a hefty amount of fat. Feel good amount eating a few at a time.

Mini Banana Muffins with Nutella 

Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain, vanilla or honey
2-3 tablespoons Nutella or hazelnut spread of choice

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat 1-2 mini muffin pans with cooking spray (this recipes makes 36-40 mini muffins).
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar and mix on medium speed until blended. Beat in the egg. Beat in the mashed bananas and vanilla.
Beat in half of the flour mixture. Beat in the yogurt. Beat in the remaining flour mixture until just blended.
Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, filling each muffin cup about 2/3 full. Drizzle a little Nutella over each muffin. You can't do this wrong - just have fun with it!
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean or with little moist bits clinging to it.
Cool the muffins in the pan, on a wire rack, for 5 minutes before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Makes 36-40 mini muffins

Comments