Reese's Stuffed Mini Banana Muffins

You might want to sit down for this. Super moist (and healthy) banana muffins stuffed with a candy surprise. Imagine this threesome: banana + chocolate + peanut butter. Sounds pretty divine, right? There's no question this threesome belongs on your recipe to-do list.  

I'm no stranger to banana muffins. My kids love them, so I make them all the time. But I strive to make them differently each time. I hate repeating recipes, even if they're amazing (I guess I feel like I can always do better). A little tweak here and there and my banana muffins are unique each time. This time, I used Greek yogurt (which slashed some fat and calories) and melted butter (instead of vegetable oil; for a richer flavor). Then, I snuck a mini Reese's Peanut Butter Cup right in the center of each mini muffin. The combination of banana, chocolate and peanut butter is stellar. Plus, the candy is hidden in the middle, so it's a glorious surprise when you bite into the middle. 

I always make my banana muffins and banana bread in my food processor. I think it's the easiest way, and there's only one thing to clean (instead of multiple bowls and whisks). First, I use the machine to puree the bananas. Then I add the "wet" ingredients to the pureed bananas. Then, the dry ingredients. Note: the first step in this recipe is to combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, BUT, when you use a food processor, you can skip this step. Simply add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients that are already in the machine and mix until blended. 

Reese's Stuffed Mini Banana Muffins

Cooking spray
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas, about 4 bananas
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
48 Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Minis

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 24-cup mini muffin pans with cooking spray (or use four 12-cup mini muffin pans).
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl or food processor, combine the bananas, yogurt, butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix or process until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix until just blended. 
Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Insert a mini Reese's Cup into the center of each muffin and and press down about halfway (don't push the candy all the way to the bottom). They will look like this: 
Use your fingers to cover the candy with the batter.  
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean, or with little moist bits clinging to it.
Cool the muffins, in the pans, on wire racks.
Makes 48 mini muffins

Comments