Sheet Pan Kebabs with Smoky Orange Teriyaki Sauce

Full disclosure: I planned to cook these kebabs on my stove-top grill pan. And then, life happened. Both boys had track practice tonight - one ended late, the other ended later. Even on early days, my boys are so-called "starving", so I was in a mad dash to get dinner on the table.

Yes, grilling is fast. But it also means hovering over the stove, turning and checking kebabs to make sure the meat cooks perfectly, the vegetables don't char, and the wooden skewers don't burn. What about everything else you need to do to get dinner on the table (plates, napkins, waters, side dishes)? You get the point.

Then it occurred to me - the kebabs were already assembled and on a sheet pan. The oven was already preheated from something else I made. Boom - in those kebabs went! Twenty minutes later, dinner was ready with ease!!! I hope you try this - I may never stand over my grill pan again...

Ingredient swaps: I made my kebabs with bell peppers, mushrooms and grape tomatoes. Clearly you can add your favorite vegetables; we also love zucchini, yellow squash and red onion.

Want it spicy? Add 1 teaspoon hot sauce to the orange juice mixture.

Sheet Pan Kebabs with Smoky Orange Teriyaki Sauce

1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey or brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound lean steak, such as sirloin or top round, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 each red and green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
6-8 cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed
6-8 grape tomatoes, rinsed clean

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or foil.
In a small saucepan, combine the orange juice, soy sauce, honey, cornstarch, garlic powder, onion powder, liquid smoke, and black pepper. Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens to the consistency of gravy. Remove the pan from the heat.
Alternate pieces of steak, peppers, mushrooms, and tomatoes on wooden or metal skewers. Place the skewers on the prepared pan and brush the glaze all over the steak and vegetables.
Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until the steak reaches the desired level of doneness (for more rare meat, check after 15 minutes).

Serve in my Warm and Buttery Homemade Naan flatbread bread like I did!!

Serves 4




Comments