Warm and Buttery Homemade Naan

I adore Naan bread - the Indian leavened flatbread cooked in a clay tandoor oven. Since I can't get to an authentic Indian restaurant today, I decided to make my own.

I don't have a tandoor oven, and my guess is you don't either. Not to worry, we can create the same sensational flatbread at home. And, Naan is an excellent side dish for soaking up extra sauces, curries and gravies from the dishes its partnered with. I plan to serve it with my steak kebabs - we can wrap the bread around the kebabs and pull the meat and veggies off the skewers.

Note: I used my cast iron griddle for making this Naan bread; if you have one, use that. If not, use a large skillet, preferably cast iron (so you get little burn marks, just like 450-degree a clay oven). Either way, you'll have to work in batches to cook all 8.

Also, for garlic Naan, add a pinch of garlic powder to the melted butter.

Warm and Buttery Homemade Naan

1/2 cup warm water (somewhere between 95 and 110 degrees)
1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil, plus more for greasing a bowl
Cooking spray
2 tablespoons salted butter, melted

In a large mixing bowl (one that belongs to a mixer equipped with a dough hook), combine the water, yeast and sugar. Let stand until the yeast is foamy, about 10 minutes. Add the flour, yogurt and 1 tablespoon of the oil and mix with the dough hook until smooth, shiny and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the dough to an oiled bowl, cover with a dish towel and let rise in a warm place (I like to use the inside of my microwave) for 1 hour, until doubled in bulk.
Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each piece into a ball. Press or roll out the balls into 8-inch circles.
Coat a large skillet or griddle with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high. Add the dough to the hot griddle and and cook until puffed up and golden brown with a few little burned spots. Flip and cook the other side (the second side cooks much faster). Brush with the melted butter. Repeat until all 8 flatbreads. Serve warm.

Makes 8 Naan flatbreads




Comments