One Pot Shredded Turkey Chili

Quite possibly the best thing I've ever made! Moist and juicy shredded turkey, simmering in a hearty, chili-scented broth with corn, bell peppers and beans. As picturesque as it is delicious. And there's no dicing, slicing or fussing! Everything comes together in one pot with pantry staples. You're gonna love this one my friends! Watch me make it HERE!

The funny thing is, I didn't plan to make this turkey chili! I was shopping for chicken, and cruising the aisles looking for dinner inspiration. But my store had no chicken. I didn't want steak or ground beef for dinner; we already had those options a few nights in a row. And then BAM! I stumbled upon the frozen whole turkey breasts! Inspiration came knocking. And it was awesome.
I grabbed the frozen turkey breast, a can of chili beans and a can of Mexicorn (corn with bell peppers) and headed to the checkout. It was the quickest grocery stop ever because I didn't need anything else - I knew I could pull dinner together with what I already had at home (broth, tomato sauce and a few herbs/spices).

Then, when I got home, I decided to make dinner in ONE pot. I mean, why fuss with a bunch of pans? I also decided to skip chopping onions and garlic - I knew I could garner those flavors with their dried counterparts. And that's how this amazing chili came to life.

The frozen turkey breast went right into the pot with all the other, uber-flavorful ingredients (I saved the gravy packet that came with it for a future meal). From the countertop to the cooktop - that's the beauty of this meal. After about 2 hours (remember, the turkey was frozen solid), the breast meat was ready to shred. Few things rival the moist and sultry quality of shredded turkey meat - and this bird is especially flavorful because it cooks right in the sauce.

Serving suggestion: I served fluffy white rice alongside my chili - my boys and I like to soak up the broth with some sort of carb. You could also serve the chili with a nice artisan bread and/or corn or flour tortillas.

Leftover suggestion: You are going to LOVE having leftovers of this chili! The day after I made this for dinner, I enjoyed a big bowl COLD, straight from the fridge. No heating needed; I simply spooned the chili right onto a spinach tortilla. So much yum. My boyfriend Carl took a few heaping scoops and added them to his scrambled eggs (with a little shredded Mexican cheese). We were both really happy.

I hope you make this so you can be happy too.

One Pot Shredded Turkey Chili

2 cups tomato sauce, from a carton or can
2 cups chicken broth or chicken bouillon
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon minced garlic or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Salt and ground black pepper
1 whole turkey breast (fresh or frozen), about 2.5-3 pounds
15-ounce can chili beans of choice
11-ounce can Mexicorn (corn with bell peppers) or 1 cup canned or frozen corn
Chopped fresh cilantro for serving, optional
Chopped green onions for serving, optional
Cook rice for serving, optional

In a large stock pot or saucepan, whisk together the tomato sauce, chicken broth, chili powder, dried cilantro, oregano, minced garlic, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Add the turkey breast and set the pan over high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours, until the turkey is tender enough to shred with 2 forks. Shred the turkey directly into the sauce (or, if it's easier for you, transfer the turkey to a bowl or plate to shred and return it to the pot). Add the canned beans and corn and simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Garnish with cilantro and green onions and serve.
Serves 6




Comments