Chicken and Peppers with Fajita Gravy

So I was thinking... "Fajita marinade is so friggin' amazing, why not turn it into gravy?" That was quite possibly the best thought I've ever had. In ONE skillet, you've got pan-seared chicken, caramelized bell peppers, and the world's dreamiest, fajita-inspired, smoky gravy. You'll be mopping up every last drop. Guaranteed. 

When I put this skillet on the table, I said to the boys, "Let me give you a little backstory..." I explained that I was planning to serve traditional fajitas, but then changed my mind. We love my home-spun fajita marinade, but there's never enough leftover for "dunking", or spooning over rice (which I often serve with fajitas). So I decided to make a silky gravy with ALL the same ingredients I put in my fajita marinade. I started with a butter-flour roux and then went to town. It's no harder than making the marinade, and the payoff is huge.
When my preamble was over, Kyle stuck his pinky in the sauce to see what the heck was going on. His eyes lit up and he said, "Mom, you're so innovative". WHAT?! That made my day.

Let's recap: I made an amazing dinner AND got a compliment from a teenager in the same night. My life is complete.

I hope to make YOUR life complete now! Definitely give this one a go; you'll be glad you did. And you can start with your own explanation of how it came together...

Chicken and Peppers with Fajita Gravy
I suggest serving the chicken, peppers and gravy with rice, pasta, bread, or tortillas, so you can soak up every speck of the gravy. 

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, about 4-5 ounces each (or two 8-ounce chicken breast halves)
Salt and ground black pepper
1 each red and green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons liquid smoke
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
Crumbled cotija cheese for serving
Chopped fresh cilantro for serving
Chopped green onions for serving
Serving suggestion:
Cooked rice
Cook pasta or couscous
Roasted potatoes
Flour or corn tortillas

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side, until golden brown. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside. Add the bell pepper to the hot pan and cook for 3 minutes, until soft. Add the peppers to the plate with the chicken and set aside.
Melt the butter in the same skillet over medium heat. When the butter is bubbly, whisk in the flour until smooth. Whisk in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the pan and incorporating them into the liquid. Whisk in the soy sauce, liquid smoke, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, and onion powder. Return to a simmer. Return the chicken and peppers to the skillet, with any accumulated juices on the plate. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Season the gravy with salt and pepper.
Remove the pan from the heat, top the chicken and peppers with the cotija cheese, cilantro and green onions and serve.
Serves 4

Comments