Apple-Banana Chip Muffins

My favorite muffins ever!!! These moist little treats deliver the most amazing combination of apple-cinnamon and banana-chocolate chips muffins. The flavors of apple, banana and chocolate are perfectly balanced; and there's a cozy of essence of cinnamon, which adds warmth and comfort.

While I'm positive I'll never run out of ideas for banana muffin variations, I'm sticking with this recipe for now. First off, I don't typically add applesauce, but I did this time to cut fat and add moisture. The result is a dreamy marriage of two fruits. Second, I don't typically add cinnamon. But since I added apples, cinnamon was a logical addition. I had no idea the warming spice would partner so well with the bananas.

Even if you've tried all my banana muffin scenarios in the past, I hope you try this one. They're incredibly easy to make and 100% addictive. I had four while writing this...

Apple-Banana Chip Muffins 

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2/3 cup mashed ripe banana, about 1 large banana
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup Greek yogurt or sour cream
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line 40 cups of mini muffin pans with cooking spray.
To make the muffins, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix well with a fork to combine. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar together until blended. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Beat in the banana and applesauce. Beat in half of the flour mixture. Beat in all of the yogurt and then the remaining flour mixture. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, filling each cup about 3/4 full.
Bake for 10 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean or with little moist bits clinging to it. Cool the muffins in the pan for a few minutes before serving.
Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Makes 40 mini muffins

Comments