Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies

Light and airy chocolate chip cookies, brimming with a gazillion dark chocolate chips. Chewy and sweet, puffy in the middle, caramelized edges... absolutely the BEST cookie you will ever eat. Oh, and these are HEALTHY. Wait, what?! Just don't tell anyone.

If you're thinking, "Healthy cookies don't taste as good as their full-fat counterparts", stop thinking that. You will be floored with this recipe. In fact, my boys ask me to make THESE cookies all the time. THIS cookie; healthy-ness and all.

They have the perfect ratio of vanilla-essence batter and dark chocolate chips. They're light and fluffy, but they feel indulgent. They're equal parts chewy and cakey. There's no greasy residue on your hands, and they're 100% addictive. I've run out of descriptors... so I'm hoping you get the gist.

You'll never make chocolate chip cookies any other way. I'm pretty sure I'm right. 

Here's how I made the cookies healthier: 
  1. Instead of using butter, I slashed calories and fat by using a yogurt-based spread. I prefer Brummel & Brown, a buttery spread made with real yogurt, plant-based oils and purified water. This simple swap cuts calories and fat by more than half. One tablespoon of butter has 100 calories and 11 grams of fat. One tablespoon of B & B has 45 calories and 5 grams of fat. You'll never miss the butter, the flavor comes through just perfectly. 
  2. Instead of using whole eggs, I used egg whites. Each egg yolk contains 5 grams of fat, and most cookie recipes call for 2 to 3 eggs. That's 10 to 15 grams of fat GONE right there. 
These healthy ingredient substitutions also change the texture of the cookies. They're lighter and puffier than cookies made with butter or shortening. They don't flatten out. I think that's also why my boys always ask for them. They're fluffy and addictive. 

These are excellent make-ahead cookies for future occasions. I always have a bowl in my freezer; that way I can make as many cookies as I want, on a whim. Sometimes I'll bake 12, and sometimes I'll bake 48! If you want to freeze the dough, transfer it to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and then foil. Freeze for up to 3 months. No need to thaw the dough before baking - simply proceed as directed below. 

Mini Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yogurt-based vegetable oil spread (such as Brummel & Brown)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large egg whites (1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 3 to 4 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil spread and both sugars. Mix on medium speed until blended and creamy. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture and mix until creamy and smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Drop 1 tablespoon of the dough per cookie onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets, on wire racks.
Makes about 72 mini cookies

Comments