Seared Steaks with Creamy Pesto Sauce

Juicy seared steaks with a dreamy pesto cream sauce. The steaks are charred and smoky. The sauce is velvety smooth and boasts fresh basil, toasted pine nuts, garlic, and sharp parmesan cheese. All that flavor... And get this, you need 5 ingredients and about 20 minutes.

I'm not kidding. This dish is wicked fast and incredibly easy. I know this for certain because I had about 20 minutes to whip it up for a crowd. Truth is: I got this phone call from Luke, who was with Kyle and 6 additional hungry teenagers, "We're heading home now; did you make enough food for everyone?" That's pretty typical, and while I wasn't really ready, I said (enthusiastically), "YES!"
I had the steaks, so that part was easy. Salt, pepper, hot pan. But I wanted to create some sort of sauce... something to pull everything together and make them all smile. I had butter, flour, pesto, and milk - BOOM, sauce inspiration! While the steaks seared on my stovetop griddle, the sauce came together in just minutes. I even had time to photograph this BEFORE they walked in the door!

Pesto is one of those one-stop-shop ingredients that livens up practically everything. The puree of basil, toasted pine nuts, garlic, parmesan, and olive oil simply can't be beat for a flavor explosion. I've used it to "save the day" more times than I can remember.

Seared Steaks with Creamy Pesto Sauce

4 steaks of choice (I used top round), about 5 ounces each
Salt and ground black pepper
Olive oil for brushing the pan
2 tablespoons butter, preferably unsalted
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2%)
3 tablespoons basil pesto (I used the refrigerated variety)
Chopped green onions for serving, optional

Season both sides of the steaks with salt and pepper. Brush the olive oil all over a stovetop grill pan or griddle and preheat to medium-high. Add the steaks to the hot pan and cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or longer for more fully cooked meat (pull the steaks from the pan before they reach your desired level of doneness; they continue to a cook a little after you take them off the heat). Let the steaks rest for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, to make the sauce, melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter is bubbly, whisk in the flour. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in the milk and pesto and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Season the sauce with salt and pepper.
Spoon the sauce over the steaks and top with green onions (if using).
Serves 4

Comments