Chicken and White Bean Chili

Chunks of white meat chicken playing in the stovetop pool with sweet corn, tender carrots, caramelized onion, and white beans. And that broth... it's herby and rich, yet it's still BROTHY, so it's undeniably light. Yes, "light" and "chili" in the same sentence. Probably my favorite chili ever. Gluten-free and ready in less than 30 minutes. Winning all around.

I wanted to mention that this chili is "light" because when I made it for lunch this weekend, my son said, "I can't have chili - I have a race later today". Little did he know it was THIS chili... He's right though, most chilies are heavy, loaded with beef and beans. This version is light yet hearty. Totally satisfying. A wholesome bowl of goodness.
About the rice: The rice is optional here - but I think it makes a nice addition at the end. In fact, I served this chili to Luke and a few of his friends and I overheard one say, "I love the addition of rice on top." They all agreed. Another one said, "And I love the corn." Melted my heart. Yes, that stuff makes me swoon.

When I make rice, I follow the package instructions and add butter, salt and pepper, but I also add 1/4 teaspoon each onion powder and garlic powder. So, for this chili, you get that added flavor bump on top too.

Chicken and White Bean Chili

1 cup white rice (see note above)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried cilantro
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 tablespoon tomato paste
15-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen corn, keep frozen until ready to use
Chopped green onions for serving, optional

Cook the rice according to the package directions (see note above, I like to add a little garlic and onion).
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrots and garlic and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the vegetables soften. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently. Add the chili powder, oregano, cilantro, salt, and pepper and stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute, until the herbs and spices are fragrant.
Add the chicken broth and tomato paste and bring to a simmer. Add the white beans and reduce the heat to low. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn and simmer for 2 minutes to heat through.
Ladle the chili into bowls and top with the rice (pack the rice into an ice cream scoop if you want to make a "mound"). Sprinkle the green onions over top and serve.
Serves 4

Comments