Onion Soup with Cheesy Sourdough

Holy caramelization! OK, this is HANDS DOWN my favorite soup on earth. Sweet, perfectly browned onions in a clear, thyme-infused, beefy broth. That's just the SOUP part. Add the toasted sourdough baguette - which is blanketed with melted Swiss - and holy smokes! I can tell you this: I won't be coming up for air until that bowl is licked clean. How about you?

Can you sense a little passion behind this soup? Perhaps I get a little too excited when it comes to onion soup, but I'm not joking. I've eaten onion soup in every way, shape and form. I order it EVERY time I see it on a restaurant menu and, even when it's been bad onion soup, it's been good. That's how much I like it.

What I've discovered about my homemade version: #1: It's the best. #2: When I keep it simple, it's perfect. I've tried adding different herbs and spices, fresh garlic, and even soy sauce (to counter the sweetness of the caramelized onions), but I ALWAYS go back to this basic version. The onions are perfectly caramelized (which makes ALL the difference in the world) and the broth is very simply scented with thyme and Worcestershire sauce. The Worcestershire adds the saltiness you want/need to counter the onions, and it adds complexity you can't get from plain old salt (or soy sauce). Plus, it's the easiest soup you'll ever make.

About the bread: I used a sourdough baguette; I like the subtle tang sourdough adds to the sweetish soup. You can use any baguette you like - including Ciabatta and French. Just make sure to give the slices a toast first - this adds an important layer of toasty depth to the soup.

About the cheese: I used a good-quality, sliced Swiss from the deli. You can also use Gruyere. You can even use "light" Swiss, like Finlandia and Yarlsberg.

I hope you try this - it's one of my most cherished things on earth. I'll fight you for the last drop, I can promise you that.

Onion Soup with Cheesy Sourdough

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cups thinly sliced yellow onions
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups beef stock or beef broth (choose good-quality broth here, the flavor really shines through)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 slices sourdough baguette, about 1-inch thick
4 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced or shredded
Chopped green onions for serving

Heat the oil in a large stock pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until the onions are very soft and golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add the thyme and stir to coat. Cook for 1 minute, until the thyme is fragrant. Add the stock and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, toast the bread slices in a toaster or under the broiler. Transfer the bread to a baking sheet and top with the cheese. Place the pan under the broiler and broil for 1 to 2 minutes, until the cheese melts.
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cheesy bread.
Top with green onions and serve.
Serves 4

Comments