Ice Cream Cake Cones

How adorable are these little cones? I baked cake in them! Here's the perfect equation: Boxed cake mix + mini ice cream cones + store-bought icing = cutest dessert! These moist and wonderful, hand-held treats are the sweetest thing ever, and perfect for EVERY party!

And think about the cake possibilities... I used a white cake mix, but red velvet, chocolate and yellow cake batter would have been terrific too. And, I LOVE the confetti frosting because it makes one thing abundantly clear: we're celebrating something!
About the cake mix: When I use a boxed mix, I like to swap melted butter for oil and milk for water. I think it creates a richer, more flavorful batter. Sometimes I add a little more vanilla extract too. That said, make the cake according to the package instructions, or make small swaps as I do. Just make sure you read the label to make sure you have the ingredients at home!

My mix called for 1 1/4 cups water (I used milk), 3 large eggs and 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I used melted butter).

About frosting the cake cones: If you want to make quick work of frosting 60 mini cones, spoon the frosting into a piping bag or freezer bag and snip the corner. There's no need for a decorating "tip", unless you want to add more flair.

Ice Cream Cake Cones

1 box white cake mix (plus ingredients on box), or any cake mix of choice
2 cartons store-bought confetti frosting, or any frosting of choice
60 mini ice cream cones

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Combine the cake ingredients as instructed on the package.
Arrange the ice cream cones in mini muffin pans. Fill each cone about 1/2 to 2/3 full (any more and the batter will spill over during cooking - which is totally OK in my opinion).
Bake for 12 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean or with little moist bits clinging to it. Cool completely before topping with frosting.
Makes 60 cake cones

Comments