Garlic-Sesame Bok Choy

Well hello Bok Choy! I'm going out on a limb here, but I think this is the best bok choy ever: Tender-crisp stalks, slightly wilted greens, playing in a salty blend of sesame, soy, ginger, and garlic. And that crunch of nutty sesame seeds - the perfect pop in every bite. Internationally inspired, and attainable in minutes with pantry staples!

I don't mind taking that risk (saying it's the "best bok choy ever"). I'm confident you'll love it. And, I know for a FACT, you'll love how easy it is.

Here's my opinion (forgive me if you already know this): Side dishes should be easy. But, they should ALSO stand on their own two side-dish feet - not a "necessary vegetable" that gets steamed or microwaved and served on the side. Who knows - that killer side dish might become your "main dish" some day (I lost count of how many times that's happened to me). Anyway, main dish, side dish - get ready to fall in love.

Prepping tip: As you chop the bok choy, I suggest separating the stalks from the leaves since we add them at different stages in the cooking process. You don't HAVE to do this, but it makes your life easier. I forgot to do it - so I speak from experience.

About the toasted sesame seeds: I used store-bought toasted sesame seeds which are sold in the spice aisle. If you already have untoasted sesame seeds, place them in a dry skillet and set the pan over low heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the seeds are light golden brown, shaking the pan frequently to prevent burning. And don't walk away! The seeds burn quickly and easily.

Garlic-Sesame Bok Choy

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 large bunch bok choy, stalk and leaves chopped, rinsed well and drained - stalks and leaves separated
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt and ground black pepper
Toasted sesame seeds for serving (see note above), about 1 teaspoon

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bok choy stalks and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown and crisp-tender, stirring frequently. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and bring to a simmer. Add the bok choy leaves and cook for 30 seconds, until the leaves wilt, stirring frequently (using tongs is easiest).
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Top with the sesame seeds and serve.
Serves 4

Comments