Barbecued Chicken Pizza Bombs

Something amazing happened last night. And this dinner is it. Here's why it's extra special: You all know I'm a food writer. Clearly my kids do too, and they completely understand that I test something different every day. So... it's a REALLY BIG DEAL when they say, "Mom, make this again". They know I probably won't, but there's no harm in trying. This time might be different. I'll be making this again.

Let me break down the elements for you: 1. Chewy, golden brown dinner rolls. 2. Those puffy rolled are filled with seared chicken, basking in sweet and tangy barbecue sauce. 3. Melted mozzarella cheese over everything. This all happens in one miraculous bite. And the entire meal is made with five, store-bought ingredients. Easy never tasted so dang delicious.
When my boys asked for a repeat performance, that made me happy. AND THEN, I remembered that I used store-bought barbecue sauce and frozen dinner rolls! I call that a double win!

About the dinner rolls: You need the uncooked rolls here. I always have frozen dinner rolls in my freezer, so I grabbed 10 of those. You can also use refrigerated bread or pizza dough and shape it into 10 balls - it's basically the same thing. Refrigerated crescent rolls work too - just roll them into balls! And, it doesn't have to be exactly "10" rolls, you can do 8, 12, whatever works for you.

Barbecued Chicken Pizza Bombs

10 refrigerated or frozen (unbaked) dinner rolls, thawed according to package directions if frozen (see note above)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced
Salt and ground black pepper
3/4 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Chopped green onions for serving, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
Place the dinner rolls in the prepared pan and brush them with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Add the barbecue sauce to the chicken and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes, until the liquid is reduced and the chicken is cooked through.
Make a well in the center of each dinner roll (using your fingers works best).
Spoon chicken and sauce into the center of the dinner rolls. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 12 minutes.
Top the chicken with the cheese and return the pan to the oven. Bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until the cheese melts and the rolls are golden brown.
Serves 4


Comments