Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet

I turned my back for 1 minute! I should have known better... "Take the picture first Robin". Always happens when I serve this healthy-ish cookie skillet to my boys. Let's face it, few things rival the cookie skillet. Especially this version - the top is chewy and crisp, the center is soft, and it's eaten with a spoon. And that gooey chocolate... I forgive you boys.

The reason I call this recipe "healthy-ish" is because the dough is lightened up a bit. Instead of using 2 sticks of butter, I used a yogurt-based vegetable oil spread. I prefer Brummel & Brown, a buttery spread made with real yogurt, plant-based oils and purified water (I'm not sponsored, just a fan). This one little swap cuts calories and fat IN HALF (actually, a little more than half)! One tablespoon of butter has 100 calories and 11 grams of fat. One tablespoon of B & B has 45 calories and 5 grams of fat!

I also used egg whites instead of whole eggs, which slashes 10 to 15 grams of fat (most cookie recipes call for 2 to 3 eggs and each yolk has 5 grams of fat). Let's be clear, I am NOT bashing eggs, I just prefer how whites aerate this dough, so the cookie skillet (and cookies if I made those instead) bake up light and fluffy.

Note, this recipe makes 2 cookie skillets - or one for now and one for later. Store the leftover dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can transfer the frozen dough to the skillet and bake it without defrosting, just add a few minutes to the baking time. Now you have a cookie skillet "on demand"; ready and waiting for future sweet cravings!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Skillet

Cooking spray
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yogurt-based vegetable oil spread (such as Brummel & Brown)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large egg whites (1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8- or 9-inch ovenproof skillet with cooking spray (I prefer cast iron).
A medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil spread and both sugars. Mix on medium speed until blended and creamy. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture and mix until creamy and smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips.
Spoon half of the dough into the prepared skillet and smooth surface.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes before serving.
Store the leftover dough in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months (see note above).
Serves 4-6

Comments