Skillet Asparagus with Minced Garlic and Parmigiano Reggiano

Sometimes the simplest of ingredients create the most magical dishes. Take this asparagus for example. It's just olive oil, minced garlic and shaved cheese. A quick sear and a sprinkling of toasted garlic and the tender-crisp spears are ready to serve with nutty Parmigiano Reggiano shaved over top. By the time the skillet hits the table, the cheese has just started to melt... It's glorious. And so simple.

If there's one thing I've learned in my MANY years of cooking, it's this: don't over-complicate things. More isn't always more. Fresh asparagus is pretty awesome all by itself. In this recipe, I gently embellished it by giving the spears a quick saute for caramelization (which brings out another layer of asparagus flavor). The olive oil, garlic and cheese complement the nuances of the asparagus beautifully. Not complicated.

About the garlic: You might think this is weird - that I didn't use fresh garlic. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. I go through at least 2-3 whole heads each week. But, in this case, I wanted a little "crunch" to balance the melting cheese and tender asparagus. So, I used dried minced garlic - which is simply dried, high-quality garlic. Nothing else (no additives or fillers, etc.). I use it all the time on my roasted broccoli and cauliflower too. Dried minced garlic is sold in the spice aisle, right next to the garlic powder.

Skillet Asparagus with Minced Garlic and Parmigiano Reggiano

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 bunch fresh asparagus, woody ends trimmed
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried minced garlic
Chunk of Parmigiano Reggiano for shaving

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the asparagus to the hot oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until browned on all sides, turning frequently. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the minced garlic over top.
Remove the pan from the heat and shave the cheese over top. Serve right from the skillet!
Serves 4



Comments