Island Teriyaki Chicken

So why did I call this "island" teriyaki? Because there's pineapple juice in that amazing sauce (the pineapple juice gave me a tropical island vibe so I went with it). The best part is, the tangy-sweet juice lights up when it's mixed with soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, onion, garlic, and ginger. It's a flavor explosion that erupts with a handful of pantry staples.

Even better? This dish gets to your table in less than 30 minutes!

About the pan you'll use: I used one of my large skillets for this recipe, but if you have a wok you love, by all means, bring it out!

Make rice, or not: I served the chicken and sauce over rice (and I always season my rice with butter, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper). Since everything comes together really fast, make sure you get that rice cooking early on. Or, use a microwave rice pouch and get the rice hot and ready in 90 seconds. You can also serve the chicken/sauce over rice noodles or a bed of mixed greens (the hot sauce wilts the greens slightly and it's awesome).

Buy a 6-pack: I don't know about you, but I don't keep a big jug of pineapple juice in my fridge or pantry. I just don't use it that much. Opt for a 6-pack of 6-ounce cans and you'll have 5 extra cans for cooking and baking adventures down the road (I plan to use another can in a cake of some sort - just haven't decided what kind of cake yet...).

Island Teriyaki Chicken

1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Salt and ground black pepper
1 cup chicken broth or chicken stock
2/3 cup pineapple juice (one 6-ounce can is perfect)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Chopped green onions for serving, optional
Cooked rice for serving

Heat the oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk together the pineapple juice, soy sauce, sesame oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and ginger. Add the mixture to the skillet and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water and add it to the skillet. Simmer for 1 minute, until the sauce thickens to the consistency of gravy.
Serve the chicken and sauce over rice, rice noodles or mixed greens and top with green onions if desired.
Serves 4

Comments