Healthy Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites (vegan, no bake)

Chocolate and peanut butter, in one scrumptious bite. What's unique about that? These protein-packed nuggets are vegan, no bake, and refined sugar-free! Want gluten-free to boot? No problem! I've got you covered.

These remind me of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, only healthier. And you can't stop at just one - but that's OK because they're super healthy, and packed with protein.

I made a big batch of these for a track meet (for before and after the kids ran) and they were GONE in a flash. They literally melt in your mouth (thanks to the peanut butter and coconut oil).

I tried a little something different this time. As you know, I make balls, bars, bites, and healthy cookies all the time. And I often use peanut butter straight from the pantry. This time, I decided to heat it up on the stovetop first. First, I knew it would save a step - I could melt the coconut oil at the same time. Second, I could warm the maple syrup - I store mine in the fridge and when the cold maple syrup hits the melted coconut oil, it solidifies it. That problem was solved. And, third, I wanted to see if the warm mixture would soften the oats a little more than usual - especially because I was using quick-cooking oats.

Boy, am I glad I experimented! Warm peanut butter is the way to go! It's not like you have to wash an extra pot either, the saucepan simply replaces the big bowl you would normally use.

I hope you try these - even if you don't have athletes to feed. I know they would be a welcome addition to any picnic or party spread, kid's birthday, housewarming, office party, school function, and more!

Healthy Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Cookie Dough Bites

1 cup smooth peanut butter
3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups quick-cooking oats
3/4 cup all-purpose flour (if you want gluten-free balls, use ground oats instead)
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (for vegan balls, opt for vegan chips)

In a large saucepan, combine the peanut butter, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the oats and flour. Mix until well blended. 
Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and place in the refrigerator until firm, about 30 to 45 minutes.
Shape the mixture into 50-60 balls and transfer the balls to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Return the baking sheet to the refrigerator and chill while you melt the chocolate.  
Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH until melted and smooth, checking and stirring every 30 seconds.  
Dunk each ball halfway into the melted chocolate and return the balls to the baking sheet. Refrigerate until they firm up (just a few minutes). 
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Makes 55-60 balls

Comments