Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Cups

Crisp, toasty wonton cups filled with scrambled eggs, cheddar and bacon. Now that's a reason to get out of bed in the morning! Plus, these joyful bites are make-ahead friendly, so you can sleep late and still enjoy them hot and fresh from the oven in just 10 minutes.

I made these scrumptious little cups for a recent morning track meet. The kids and parents need to get to the track pretty early (by 7 AM), and track meets typically last 4 to 5 hours. With no food. The kids don't (can't) really eat before they run, so they're famished when the meet is over. As for the parents, they're just famished the whole time.

I try to bring goodies to every meet, and this time I chose these little cups - something I could bring fresh from the oven. But, I didn't want to get up extra early to make them! Don't get me wrong, I love those parents, but...

So, I cooked the bacon, scrambled the eggs and prepared the cups as directed below. Then, I covered the muffin pans with Press'n Seal and popped them in the fridge overnight. The next morning - I pulled the pans out of the fridge and let them sit on the counter while I showered (I didn't want the cups going straight from the fridge to the oven because I was afraid the wontons would burn before the eggs were hot all the way through). Just 15 minutes on the counter - that's all you need. Then, I baked these gems as instructed below.

Long story short - whether you have parents to feed, or a bunch of friends coming over for brunch, prep the day before and sleep in!

Bacon, Egg and Cheese Breakfast Cups

6 slices bacon
1 tablespoon butter
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
36 wonton wraps (also called wonton skins)
Cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
Arrange the bacon on the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes, until the bacon is cooked - crispy but still a little chewy (the bacon will cook a little more once it's in the cups). When cool enough to handle, chop the bacon into small pieces. Set aside.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook until cooked but still moist, stirring frequently. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir until the cheese melts.
Press the wonton wraps into the bottom and up the sides of 36 mini muffin cups (I used three 12-cup mini muffin pans).
Spoon the egg mixture into the wonton wraps. Top with the remaining cheese and chopped bacon. Spray the wontons with cooking spray.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the wontons are golden brown and the cheese melts.
Enjoy!
Make 36 cups (6-8 servings)


Comments