Chocolate Monkey Bread

Here's the truth behind this monkey bread. I thawed 8 dinner rolls, thinking I would serve them alongside a skillet chicken dish I was considering. Then I changed my chicken idea and created my Chicken Parmesan Braid (which was insanely good, by the way). Since the chicken dish was made with bread dough, I didn't want to serve rolls on the side (we love bread, but c'mon...).

But I already thawed the rolls... Monkey bread to the rescue! Here's what I did: I cut each roll into 4 smaller pieces, rolled the pieces in butter and nestled them in a loaf pan. Then I created a fudge sauce that I knew would be super rich, and melt into the rolls (and between them). I knew I needed a sauce that would be fudgy enough to coat the rolls, but not too thin to drip off after everything was baked. This sauce delivered everything I wanted - pure decadence that coated the rolls and dished up semisweet chocolate goodness in every buttery bite.

If you make this dessert (and I hope you do), I can promise you this: you will worship dinner rolls from here on out. And the chocolate sauce. They're both that good. 

Chocolate Monkey Bread

Cooking spray
8 frozen dinner rolls, thawed according to the package directions
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 1/2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil

Coat an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.

If you thawed the rolls in the refrigerator, place them on the counter for 10 minutes, so they come closer to room temperature.
Cut each dinner roll into 4 equal pieces. Dunk each piece in the melted butter and turn to coat. Arrange the pieces in the bottom of the prepared loaf pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together the cocoa, maple syrup and coconut oil. If the mixture is thick, warm it in the microwave for 30 seconds. Whisk until glossy and smooth.
Pour the chocolate sauce over the dinner rolls.
Let rise in a warm, non-drafty place for 30 to 45 minutes, until the rolls double in size.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Bake the rolls for 15 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown.
Serve the monkey bread directly from the loaf pan, or transfer to a serving dish and serve hot, warm or room temperature. It's amazing at every degree.
Serves 4

Comments