Chocolate Ganache Stuffed Banana Bread

I keep trying to outdo myself, and this recipe is no exception. I've been making banana bread (using my original recipe or a version of it) for over 20 years. And I keep finding ways to make it better. I've added chocolate chips. I've topped it with sugary walnuts. And, in this case, I laced the moist bread with dark chocolate ganache. In one easy step, the bread changes completely. Each chewy bite delivers sweet bananas and fudgy ganache. Everything is right in the world.

I served this banana bread for breakfast (and I put slices in my boys' lunchboxes), but thanks to the rich chocolate ganache, you can also serve it for dessert! 

Chocolate Ganache Stuffed Banana Bread

Cooking spray
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 medium ripe bananas (as overripe as you can get!)
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
To make the ganache, in a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and cream.
Microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Stir. Microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds, or until the chocolate melts. Whisk until smooth and glossy. Set aside.
To make the banana bread batter, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
Place the bananas in a large mixing bowl or food processor (as you can see, I used my food processor), and mix or process until the bananas are mashed.
Add the milk, butter, egg, and vanilla. Mix or process until blended. Add the flour mixture and mix or process until just blended (don't over-mix; stop when the flour is incorporated).
Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the surface.
Pour the chocolate ganache over top, making an even layer.
Top with the remaining banana bread batter and smooth surface.
Bake for 50t to 60 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean, or with little moist bits clinging to it.
Cool on wire rack for a least 10 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.

Makes 1 loaf (about 6-8 servings)

Comments