Skillet Apple Pie

Oh my gosh! You NEED to try this! Truth is, I've never made apple pie in a skillet before. I've always done the traditional version, in a pie plate. But I was curious - and I love my cast iron skillet - so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I can tell you this - I'll be making apple pie in a skillet EVERY time now! I love how the crust is golden brown and crispy; and the bottom layer is infused with butter and brown sugar. That means, in every bite, you get layers of buttery brown sugar, flaky crust, and tender, cinnamony apples. Plus the golden brown, cinnamon-sugar dusted top crust. It's insane.
Oh, and as you'll see when you scroll down, it's super easy. I'm sure this is one pie you’ll be making all season long.

And the presentation... Gorgeous, and great for entertaining.

Skillet Apple Pie 

Pie
4-5 apples, peeled, cored and cut into 16 wedges each (you need about 6-6 1/2 cups of sliced apples)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 refrigerated 9-inch pie crusts
1 egg, lightly beaten
Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
To make the pie, place the apples in a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Add the mixture to the apples and toss to combine. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a 9- or 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
Add the brown sugar.
Cook, stirring constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sugar is dissolved.
Remove the pan from the heat and place one of the pie crusts in the skillet, directly over the brown sugar mixture.
Top the bottom crust with the apple mixture.
Place the second crust on top. Don't worry too much about how it looks - rustic is the best!
Brush the top crust with the egg.
For the cinnamon-sugar topping, in a small bowl, whisk together the sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
Cut 4 slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape during baking.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.
Let the pie rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

Serves 8

Comments