Honey Nut Balls with Granola (gluten-free)

My boys both had cross country meets this weekend so (you know me) I wanted to create healthy fuel for before and after the meet. The fuel before they run needs to be rich in complex carbohydrates (for quick energy), and protein for longer-lasting energy (since it's cross country and not track).  What they need after the race something to replenish the muscle glycogen (stored glucose) burned during the run. The oats do that, as well as natural sweeteners like honey. But I didn't just make these for my boys...there are always parents (and coaches) that need to nibble! These were perfect for everyone! 

These gluten-free balls are crammed with protein from the peanut butter, natural sweetness from the honey, and complex carbs from the oats. And, thanks to the food processor, they come together in just seconds.

Honey Nut Balls with Granola

1/4 cup granola of choice (I chose one with mini chocolate chips)
1/2 cup oats, regular or quick-cooking, not steel cut
1/2 cup peanut butter, preferably all natural
1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place the granola in a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Transfer to a shallow plate and set aside.
Place the oats in the food processor and pulse until finely ground.
Add the peanut butter, honey, and vanilla and process until blended. 
Shape the mixture into 20 to 24 balls. 
Rolls the balls in the granola (I placed the granola in my left hand and rolled the balls with my right hand – that way they didn’t slide all over the plate!).
Transfer the balls to a parchment-lined baking sheet and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Serve chilled. Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.

Makes 20-24 balls


Comments