Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies

These are the most amazing chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted. I kid you not. They're light and airy, yet chewy and chocolatey. The semisweet chocolate, nestled into a pudding-based dough is to die for. Total chocolate heaven. Oh, and they're healthier too! I promise you can't tell...

Think about the pudding possibilities! I used chocolate pudding mix because that's what I had on hand - but vanilla would be amazing too. And what about pistachio? Oh man, don't get me started...

Here's how I made the cookies lighter in fat and calories: 
Instead of using butter, I used a yogurt-based vegetable oil spread. I like Brummel & Brown, a buttery spread made with real yogurt, plant-based oils and purified water (and they don't sponsor me!). This one simple swap cuts calories and fat by more than half (1 tablespoon of butter has 100 calories and 11 grams of fat; 1 tablespoon of B & B has 45 calories and 5 grams of fat). 

But why add cornstarch? Truth is, I've never tried this before, so I wanted to experiment with this recipe. The rumor is, cornstarch softens the harsh proteins in flour, which makes for a more tender baked good. I think you'll agree, this is one tender cookie! I'll be using this trick more often!

OK, introduction over, now let's get baking!

Chocolate Chip Pudding Cookies 

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 package (4 servings) instant chocolate pudding mix
1 tablespoon cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yogurt-based vegetable oil spread (such as Brummel & Brown)
1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 35o degrees. Line 2 to 3 baking sheets with parchment paper (it depends how big your baking sheets are). 
In a large bowl, combine the flour, pudding mix, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, beat together the vegetable oil spread and brown sugar until blended and creamy. 
Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Beat in the vanilla. 
Gradually beat in the flour mixture and mix until blended. 
Fold in the chocolate chips. 
Spoon the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart (I used a 2-inch scoop). 
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the top is set. Cool on the baking sheets for 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely (simply slide the parchment onto the rack). 
Makes 42-44 cookies

Comments