Pepperoni and Cheese Pinwheels with Basil

Look at this score! I found this roll-out-able fresh mozzarella cheese at the market today and, I confess, I was downright giddy. Don't judge - sometimes food finds get me excited.
But seriously, how awesome is this cheese? The picture on the label showed the cheese stuffed with tomato and basil (like a caprese salad), but I instantly thought of stuffing the fresh, creamy cheese with salty pepperoni before rolling up. The result is a gorgeous roll that makes an excellent addition to your party spread (but, truth be told, I'm putting pinwheels in my boys' school lunches tomorrow!

About my basil: Yes, I realize the leaves look tired. I had a few extra, slightly wilted leaves leftover from previous meals. Since I didn't want to overpower the cheese with tons of basil, this was the perfect amount. If you want to add more basil leaves, feel free! Fresh or slightly wilted, I won't judge. Oh, and you can also use parsley.

Make ahead tip: If you want to assemble the roll in advance, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days.

Pepperoni and Cheese Pinwheels with Basil 

1 package unwrap & roll fresh mozzarella cheese
28 slices pepperoni
Fresh basil leaves

Unroll the cheese on a flat surface.
Top with rows of pepperoni slices. Top with the basil leaves.
Roll up tightly.
Slice crosswise into 1-inch pinwheels and serve.
Serves 4-6




Comments