Kale Chips with Sea Salt and Black Pepper

Snacking and healthy go hand-in-hand! Enjoy a perfectly crisp chip with the distinct flavor of fresh kale, crunchy sea salt and black pepper. 

Why make your own? Trust me, these are the best kale chips you've ever had. Yes, I realize you can BUY kale chips, but I find the bagged chips almost flavorless, especially when compared to fresh-baked kale. And let's not forget that most of store-bought kale chips end up as crumbled kale at the bottom of the bag. 

Not ribbin' ya: Lots of kale chip recipes call for removing the ribs and stems from the leaves before baking. Call me a rebel, but I don't listen. I like the stems! And, they crisp up just as beautifully as the leaves. 

Kale Chips with Sea Salt and Black Pepper

1 bunch fresh kale, rinsed, dried and cut into 2-inch pieces (I used my salad spinner to make sure the leaves were pretty dry)
2 tablespoons olive oil
Sea salt, preferably course
Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with parchment paper. 
Place the kale in a large bowl, add the olive oil and toss to coat every leaf (use your hands - it's fun!). Spread the kale out on the prepared pan and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. 
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until crisp. 

Makes about 3 cups 

Comments