Fudgy Mocha Cake with Chocolate Glaze

I made these cakes on a whim and I'm SO glad I did! I knew I wanted to make chocolate cake, but I didn't want a dense Bundt or pound cake. I craved a chocolate cake that delivered decadence, but wasn't overly heavy. Score! And that glaze... similar to a ganache, it's a velvety topping that takes the whole chocolate experience to new heights. 

One cake, 4 cakes, 12 cupcakes score! I baked my batter in 4 small paper baking pans. The batter will also make one 8-inch round or square cake, or 12 cupcakes. It's completely up to you. 

About the ricotta: I used ricotta cheese in the batter so I could create a fudgy texture for the cake (something you don't always get with milk). And, because I used part skim ricotta, I cut out some fat and calories. You can also use Greek yogurt or light sour cream for a similar result.

Got leftovers? Store leftover cake(s) at room temperature, well wrapped, for several days or freeze for up to 3 months.

Fudgy Mocha Cake with Chocolate Glaze

Cooking spray
1/2 cup brewed coffee
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese or Greek yogurt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Glaze
1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch cake pan, 4 mini cake pans or a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
To make the cake, in a small saucepan, combine the coffee, butter and cocoa. Set the pan over low heat and cook until the butter melts, stirring frequently. Whisk until smooth. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until blended. Whisk in the chocolate mixture.
In a small bowl, whisk together the ricotta, egg and vanilla. Add the mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until blended.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s).
Bake for 20 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out clean or with little bits of moist cake clinging to it.
Cool on a wire rack before glazing.
To make the glaze, combine the chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl. Heat until the cream starts to bubble, either 30-60 seconds in the microwave or over medium heat on the stovetop. Remove from the heat and whisk until smooth. 
Pour the glaze over the cooled cakes and serve.
Makes one 8-inch cake, 4 small cakes or 12 cupcakes



Comments