Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

Yay! I finally made a cookie that taste just like the ones my mom used to make!

My intention here was not to create a gluten-free cookie - but that happened anyway. I just wanted a truly peanut buttery cookie that was a little crispy and a little chewy at the same time. I researched several recipes and the ones with the highest reviews had little to no flour. And no baking soda either. I was actually pretty surprised, so I had to try it for myself. I used those recipes as a model, but here's how I made mine unique (and the BEST ever!).  
  • I used BOTH white and brown sugar. Why? Brown sugar adds the chewy quality I was going for and granulated sugar provides the crispness I craved. 
  • I used good quality, all natural peanut butter - I think it tastes more like peanuts (and less like sugar!).
  • I added a little baking soda - just enough for a little "rise", but not enough to create a puffy cookie.
These gems are made in ONE bowl with ONE whisk. I'm serious, you won't believe how easy they are. Try them and let me know what you think!

Oh, and feel free to add chocolate chips - I'll probably do that next time! 

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup granulated sugar, plus more for sprinkling over cookies
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup peanut butter, preferably all natural

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, brown sugar, egg, vanilla, and baking soda. Whisk until blended and smooth. Whisk in the peanut butter until smooth.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the dough into your hand and roll it into a ball. Arrange the balls on the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart (the dough will make 24 balls).
Sprinkle a little granulated sugar over the balls. Using a fork, press down gently into each ball. Switch directions and press down again, making a cross hatch pattern (don't worry if the fork sticks a little bit, the cookie will release when you give the fork a little wiggle).
Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, until the edges just start to turn golden brown.
Cool on the baking sheets, on wire racks.
Makes 24 cookies



Comments