Easy Grilled Corn!

How do you feel about shucking corn? I don't mind the process, but I 100% mind the mess. Even when I feel like I'm being super neat, I find little strands of corn "silks" for days. Like corn "hair" stuck to everything. I must not be alone because my favorite local grocery store places big trash cans next to the fresh corn on the cob; so you can shuck the corn in the store and let them handle the clean up. Nice folks. But I have another solution!

Grilling works: I knew that grilling corn in the husk made life easier - grilling cooks the corn and wilts the leaves and silks so they whisk away with ease. But that method also requires some advance planning; you need to soak the cobs in water so the husk doesn't burn on the grill. But I love the grill flavor...

Roasting and then grilling is better! Here's what I did to get the best of both worlds: I simply plopped several cobs of corn in a large roasting pan, added about 1 inch of water, covered the pan with foil, and roasted until tender. Once the cobs were cool enough to handle, the leaves, silks and base came off in seconds, with no mess. I mean, it was amazing. I told my boys, "I'll never cook corn any other way". After they were shucked, I gave the cobs a quick sear on the grill before serving. Hooray! Perfectly grilled corn with no mess.

You can prep ahead too! Since you roast the corn before grilling, it makes the perfect prep-ahead side dish for any occasion. Store the shucked, roasted corn in the refrigerator (covered with plastic or in freezer bags) for up to 3 days before grilling.

By the way, you don't NEED to grill: I like the grilled flavor on my cob corn, but once the corn is roasted and shucked, it's ready to serve. No grilling required!

Easiest Grilled Corn Ever
Note: This recipe can easily be doubled and tripled to serve more people.

8 ears cob corn
Cooking spray
Salt and ground black pepper
Butter for serving, optional

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the corn in a large roasting pan and add about 1 inch of water. Like this (if you need to stack the cobs, that's OK):
Cover with foil and roast for 40 minutes.
They will look like this:
When cool enough to handle, remove the husk, silks and base with ease. Like this:
Coat a stovetop grill pan or outdoor grill with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high. Add the corn to the hot grill and cook just until you have grill marks on all sides (the corn is cooked, so you're just looking for flavor and caramelization here).
Season to taste with salt and pepper. If desired, serve with butter!
Serves 4

Comments