Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER (healthier too!)

These are the easiest, most amazing chocolate cookies you will ever sink your teeth into. I'm not kidding. My boys and I agree, they're light and airy, and jam-packed with chocolate chips. 

Here's how I made the cookies lighter: 
  1. Instead of using butter, I slashed calories and fat by using a yogurt-based vegetable oil spread. I prefer Brummel & Brown, a buttery spread made with real yogurt, plant-based oils and purified water. No, they're not paying me, I've just experimented a LOT and this works the best in my cookies! And, it cuts calories and fat by more than half! One tablespoon of butter has 100 calories and 11 grams of fat. One tablespoon of B & B has 45 calories and 5 grams of fat! You'll never miss the butter, the flavor comes through just perfectly. 
  2. Instead of using whole eggs, I used egg whites. Each egg yolk contains 5 grams of fat, and most cookie recipes call for 2 to 3 eggs. That's 10 to 15 grams of fat GONE right there. 
And here's a tip for making these cookies perfect every time: Freeze the dough for at least 30 minutes before baking. I'm not sure why I started doing this - perhaps there was a time when I got called away from my cookie dough before I had a chance to bake the cookies ... I don't recall. But, it doesn't matter - what I discovered was this: starting with frozen (or almost frozen) cookie dough keeps the cookies puffed up, light and fluffy. No flattening out on the baking sheet like other cookie recipes. Oh, and cold dough is easier to spoon onto the baking sheets too! 

Make-ahead friendly: Since you need to freeze the dough for 30 minutes anyway, these are excellent make-ahead cookies for future occasions. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or press-n-seal, and then foil, and freeze for up to 3 months. No need to thaw the dough before baking - simply proceed as directed below. 

So now you have it - light and fluffy chocolate chips cookies brimming with chocolate chips! Please try them and let me know what you think! 

Best Chocolate Chip Cookies EVER

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yogurt-based vegetable oil spread (such as Brummel & Brown)
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
4 large egg whites (1/2 cup)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips


In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil spread and both sugars. Mix on medium speed until blended and creamy. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture and mix until creamy and smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or press-n-seal and freeze the dough for at least 30 minutes. 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line 3 to 4 large baking sheets with parchment paper. 
Drop tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on baking sheets, on wire racks. 

Makes 5 dozen cookies

Comments