Chipotle Scented Meatballs with Country Gravy

How do you spell comfort? I spell it like this: MEATBALLS AND GRAVY? And you know what's even more comforting? That this incredible meal is ready in less than 30 minutes.

About the gravy: I called this "country gravy" because the creamy, dreamy sauce for the meatballs starts with a basic roux of flour and fat. But that's where the similarity ends... First, in traditional country gravy, the roux is made with flour and vegetable oil; I used butter instead of oil because it adds more flavor and creaminess. Then, country gravy is mostly milk or cream (or a combination). I wanted that creaminess, but I also wanted a beefy flavor to compliment the meatballs - so I added beef broth (for chicken, I would have added chicken broth). Then, I added some seasonings - garlic, onion, and paprika. Now this is a gravy the whole COUNTRY will adore!

About the meatballs: If you follow my recipes, you know that I prefer to roast meatballs before proceeding to the next step (whether it's simmering in gravy, sauce, or whatever). I like that the meatballs are perfectly browned on all sides, and the fat drips away. I never have to worry about one side of the meatballs cooking more than the other! As for seasoning, I catapulted flavor by adding chipotle chile powder, oregano and Worcestershire sauce. You won't believe how much flavor erupts when you combine these three simple things.

Chipotle Scented Meatballs with Country Gravy

1 pound lean ground beef
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
Salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup beef broth
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 cup milk

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, Worcestershire sauce, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Mix well and shape the mixture into 16 meatballs. Place the meatballs on the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, until browned and cooked through.
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. When the butter is bubbly, whisk in the flour and keep whisking until blended and smooth. Whisk in the broth and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the onion powder, garlic powder and paprika. Whisk in the milk and bring to a simmer. Add the meatballs and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes, until the gravy is thick and creamy.

Serves 4


Comments