Philly Cheesesteak Calzone

Not that's what I'm taawking about! Forgive my reckless use of Philly slang throughout this blog. But this is the best calzone jawn ever... Yes, I said jawn.

OK, this Philly girls loves her cheesesteaks. And, don't bother asking which cheese is the "right cheese" - cheddar or provolone. I won't take that bait. There are definitely two camps on that one. To solve the problem? I put TWO cheeses in this calzone. I used cheddar for it's sharpness and mozzarella for its gooeyness, but you can use cheddar + provolone, or just cheddar, or just mozzarella. You can even use Whiz if that's what you're into.

Wit or Wit-Out? These classic Philly terms mean with or without onions. I dint add onions this time, but I added onion powder for flavor. You can add fried onions to your heart's content.

Whaddabout the dough? I love Rhodes frozen bread dough. It's a super versatile 1 pound loaf. You can use any brand, just check your local Ac-a-me. You can also pick up dough from your favorite pizza joint.

Hold on tight, youse guys will love this! Oh, and if you're thirsty, serve a big glass of wooder on the side.

Philly Cheesesteak Calzone

1 pound frozen bread or pizza dough, thawed according to package directions (just the first round of thawing/rising)
Cooking spray
8 ounces lean steak, such as sirloin or round
Salt and ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, regular or salt-free
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tablespoon olive oil

Coat a stove-top grill pan or griddle with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high. Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper and add to the hot pan. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into very thin slices.
Roll the dough out into a large oval, about 9 x 12 inches (doesn't have to be exact).
Arrange the steak on the center of the dough and season with the Italian seasoning, onion powder and garlic powder. Arrange the cheeses alongside the steak.
It will look like this:
Fold over the dough and pinch around the edges to seal.
Transfer the calzone to a parchment- or foil-lined baking pan and brush the olive oil all over the top (I used my fingers, not a brush - it's more fun).
Let the calzone rise for 45 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Bake the calzone for 15 to 20 minutes, until browned. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
I served my calzone with warm marinara sauce and ketchup, serve yours however you like!
Serves 4





Comments