Vegan Pumpkin Pie Truffles


Today I was trying to come up with dessert that could also work as an after-school snack. I realize that sounds weird, but my boys run track and they're starving after school. I try to give them the protein they need and the sugar they crave at the same time. My Cranberry-Chocolate Peanut Butter Power Balls are always a hit after school, but I wanted to mix things up.

And, vegan chocolate intrigues me. We're not vegan, but I like to experiment and play with food. Plus, I find nothing wrong with making chocolate healthier! Especially if taste and texture aren't compromised.

So here's what happened. I created the truffle filling using ingredients you might find in pie: graham crackers, cinnamon and vanilla. I added maple syrup for sweetness, but I didn't add much because graham crackers already have sugar. Holy truffle filling - it's fantastic!

For the chocolate coating, I combined cocoa, maple syrup and melted coconut oil. OH MY!!! I may never eat regular chocolate again! It's incredible! Take note, because coconut oil is the base, the heat of your hands will melt it a little. But that just means you need to eat the truffles FAST!!

Here's how to do it:

Pumpkin Pie Filling:
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
1/2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Coating: 
6 tablespoons cocoa
5 tablespoons pure maple syrup
4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted just before using (for me, it took 30 seconds in the microwave)

To make the filling, in a food processor, combine all the pumpkin pie filling ingredients. Process until blended and pretty smooth (graham cracker crumbs never get completely smooth), scraping the bowl of the processor down a few times. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and refrigerate 30 minutes.
Shape the mixture into 20 truffle balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Freeze the balls for 30 minutes.
To make the chocolate, combine the cocoa, maple syrup and coconut oil in a small bowl. Whisk until blended and smooth. It's important that the coconut oil be warm and fully melted to create a smooth chocolate.
Drop the pumpkin balls into the chocolate mixture and turn to coat all sides. Use a fork to transfer them to a parchment-lined baking sheet (they will harden right away).
Serve right away and/or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 20 truffles



Comments