Purple Tater Tots!

Do you love Tater Tots? It's OK, you can admit it! I grew up on those little frozen gems! In fact, I think we had hot dogs and Tater Tots every Friday night! But you know me, I try to recreate things in my own kitchen. And, for these, I wanted to try the bag of little purple potatoes I already had on hand. I also added 2 little gold potatoes for color variation. 

These are super simple to prepare and can be prepped ahead (fry them just before serving). I made mine 8 hours in advance, but you can certainly make them 24 hours in advance. Here's how to do it: 

Oh, and you don't have to use purple potatoes! Any potatoes will do. 

Purple Tater Tots

1 1/4 pounds potatoes, purple, gold, Russet, or a combination 
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil for frying

Place the potatoes (whole, unpeeled) in a large pot and pour over enough cold water to cover by about 2 inches. Bring the water to a boil. Boil for 15 minutes, until fork-tender (bigger potatoes will take a little longer). 
Drain and, when cool enough to handle, use a small paring knife to remove the skin. Use a grater to shred the potatoes into a large bowl. Add the flour, onion powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Mix well. Shape the mixture into tots and place on a lined baking sheet. Refrigerate 30 minutes. 
Heat the oil in a pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the tots in batches (so you don't crowd the pot) and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown on all sides. Drain on paper towels. 
Serve as soon as all batches are finished. 

Serves 4





Comments