Pantry Raid White Pizza

I call this "Pantry Raid" white pizza because I literally raid my pantry and fridge all the time, searching for ingredients that not only add flavor and color, but those that I need to use STAT, while they still have some luster (and before they go bad!). 

For this pizza, I found a little steamed broccoli from last night's dinner, red onion, 2 pieces of bacon, scallions, canned corn, and a couple of pieces of beef from a kebab meal earlier in the week. With all those flavors going on, I decided not to use red sauce, and instead covered the pizza with roasted garlic-spiked ricotta cheese. I mean, this looks like any gourmet pizza from your favorite local shop, right?

And, it's so simple to throw together, making it great for a busy weeknight. Oh, and if you don't want to roast your own garlic, you can buy it pre-roasted!

Pantry Raid White Pizza

4 cloves garlic, peeled
2/3 cup ricotta cheese
12-16-ounces refrigerated bread or pizza dough (or frozen, thawed dough)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, or more if desired
1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon oregano
Toppings: I told you what I used, but other great options include: 
Sundried tomatoes
Fresh tomatoes
Cooked chicken
Cooked shrimp
Cooked sausage
Pepperoni
Olives
Jalapenos
Grilled and roasted vegetables 
Raw mushrooms
Steamed spinach, kale and broccoli rabe
A variety of cheeses
Pesto

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 
Place the garlic on a piece of foil and wrap the foil around the garlic to make a pouch. Roast for 20 minutes, until soft. 
Transfer the garlic to a bowl and mash into a puree (using a spoon or fork). Add the ricotta and mix to combine.
Press the dough out onto a large baking sheet that's been lined with parchment paper or coated with cooking spray (press out until you reach your desired level of thickness; I like my pizza super thin, so I go to about 1/4-inch; remember that the dough will rise a little in the oven). 
Spread the ricotta mixture all over the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge of the crust. 
Top with the mozzarella, parmesan, oregano, and desired toppings.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden brown.

Serves 4-6





Comments