Mini Whoopie Pies with Two Fillings!

I love Whoopie pies, but I'm not wild about the ones I've found in stores lately. I find the cake a little dry and the filling a little bland. Or maybe I just wanted an excuse to make my own! And, since I was making my own, I had the option to create two awesome fillings - marshmallow cream and Nutella. The base for the fillings is the same, so making two versions is easy. 

Next time, I think I'll fold in mini chocolate chips...

Mini Whoopee Pies with Two Fillings

For the cookies: 
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup half and half
For the fillings: 
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup marshmallow cream
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Nutella or hazelnut spread of your choice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
To make the cookies, in a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt. 
Whisk until blended and set aside. 
In a large  mixing bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar and beat until blended. Beat in the egg, vanilla and cider vinegar. 
Working in batches, beat in the flour mixture and half and half, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. 
Drop the batter by tablespoons onto the prepared pans, making 24 mounds. 
Bake 8 minutes. Slide the parchment onto wire racks to cool completely. 
To make the fillings, in a mixing bowl, combine the butter, marshmallow cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Beat until blended and smooth. 
Transfer half of the filling to a pastry bag fitted with the tip of your choice. 
Add the Nutella to the remaining filling and beat until blended. 
Transfer that filling to another pastry bag. 
When the cookies are cool, pipe the fillings onto half of them. Top with second cookie.
Makes 12 whoopie pies





Comments