Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Chicks!


Full disclosure: I got my recipe inspiration from Martha Stewart. She posted an adorable picture/recipe for coconut chick cupcakes using cupcakes, icing, whole almonds, and licorice (black and red). At first, I thought I would make my chicks with my homemade macaroons (I was planning to make the cookies bigger and the right shape). BUT, when I started assembling ingredients, I realized I didn't have any sweetened condensed milk! In fact, I didn't have ANY milk, so I couldn't even make my own.

So I decided to use what I DID have -- bananas, flour, sugar, chocolate chips, and eggs -- and made banana muffins! I also revamped my muffin recipe to include coconut oil and coconut water - to keep with the theme. After the muffins were baked, I started having fun! To make the chicks, I made a few other changes:
  • Martha turned her cupcakes upside down and added icing to create the chick "shape". I left my muffins right-side-up so I could use less icing. 
  • For the beak, I used two sliced almond pieces instead of one whole almond (looks more like a beak to me). 
  • I used less coconut (wanted a better ratio of muffin-to-coconut) and tossed it with a little vanilla extract for flavor. I also toasted the coconut for a shorter amount of time - just enough for color (10 minutes instead of 15).  
  • I used chocolate chips for the eyes, instead of black licorice.
  • I snipped Twizzlers Bites for the feet and "comb", instead of using red licorice pieces. 
 Here's how I did it!

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Chicks

Cooking spray
3 cups shredded sweetened coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large, ripe bananas
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut water
1 large egg
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

To assemble the chicks:
Toasted coconut (from above)
1-2 cups vanilla icing, any variety
24 mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
24 almond slices
Red licorice (such as Twizzlers Bites), cut to look like feet and crown

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the coconut and vanilla extract. Toss to coat the coconut. Spread the coconut out on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, until lightly golden brown, stirring halfway through cooking. Set aside. 
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In a food processor or large bowl, combine the bananas, both sugars, coconut water, egg, and oil. Process or mash with a fork until well blended and almost smooth (small lumps are OK). Fold in the 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips.
Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin pan (about 1/4 cup per muffin). Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out almost clean (little bits clinging to the pick are ideal).
Cool on a rack.
When ready to assemble the chicks, spread the icing all over the top and sides of the muffins.
Sprinkle the coconut all over the top and sides of muffins (you can also roll the muffins in the coconut for an even coating). Arrange the chocolate chips as eyes, the almonds as beaks and the licorice as the feet and crowns.

Makes 12 chicks











Comments