Beet Soup with Balsamic and Honey!

Celebrate your sweetheart with this sweet and tangy soup from my cookbook Robin Takes 5.

Beet Soup with Balsamic and Honey
I realize I took a major shortcut by using pre-cooked beets but I’m not ashamed. The process of boiling, peeling and chopping raw beets was more than I wanted to sign up for I thought you’d feel the same. This is an excellent soup both warm and chilled. When I serve it chilled, I like to top the soup with some crumbled feta cheese. 

6 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
1 pound cooked beets (not pickled), chopped
1 clove garlic, grated
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey

Combine the broth, beets and garlic in a large saucepan and set the pan over high heat.  Bring to a boil.  Decrease the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes.  Puree with an immersion blender or regular blender (when using a regular blender, work in batches to prevent spillover).  Stir in the vinegar and honey.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper. 

Serves 4

Nutrients per serving: Calories: 92, Fat: 0g, Saturated Fat: 0g, Cholesterol: 0mg, Carbohydrate: 21g, Protein: 2g, Fiber: 4g, Sodium: 299mg

Comments