Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ever!

I  may be a little biased, but I swear this is the best chocolate chip cookie dough you will ever make. I started making my cookies without egg yolks about 20+ years ago, when I realized I was allergic to the yolks. The cookies came out lighter and fluffier, and I was pleased. Then, one day, when I was out of butter, I used my yogurt-based spread instead. I was a little worried (I didn't want to ruin an entire batch of cookies), but, DANG, they came out fine, and even a little more "buttery" (oddly). I love tons of vanilla, so each time I made these cookies, I cranked up the amount of extract, until I got to a whopping tablespoon. And for those of you thinking that I made "lightened up" version of the classic cookie, take note: I add THREE cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Yeah baby.

And great news for those of you that like to lick the bowl, or eat the raw cookie dough: I use pasteurized egg whites, so you can eat all you want! In fact, if you want to make chocolate-dunked cookie dough truffles, simply freeze the dough until firm (which is what I'm doing right now), and then shape it into balls. Dunk the frozen balls into melted semi-sweet chocolate and cool parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Incredible!

Here's the recipe for the cookies - you can decide whether you want to bake them, eat the dough, or make the truffles! 

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup yogurt-based vegetable oil spread (I use Brummel & Brown)
3/4 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup pasteurized egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a small bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetable oil spread and both sugars. Mix on medium speed until blended and creamy. Beat in the egg whites and vanilla. Gradually beat in the flour mixture and mix until creamy and smooth. Fold in the chocolate chips. 

To bake the cookies: Drop tablespoons of the dough onto parchment-lined baking sheets, about 2 inches apart. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes (I pull my cookies from the oven when they are JUST golden brown, not dark brown - but that's me). Cool on baking sheets, on wire racks. Devour, devour, devour.

Makes about 48 cookies/truffles


Comments