Meatless Monday Fusilli with Basil-Walnut Pesto

I'm working on a pesto story today and wanted to share one of my favorite variations. The story I'm working on will include FOUR pesto variations of (one with parsley and mint, one with sage, one with carrot tops, and one with cilantro), all with different nuts and oils. One of my favorite variations (that I will share with you today because I'm not adding it to the story), is a traditional basil pesto that uses walnuts instead of pine nuts. I think the result is a nuttier, creamier pesto that's excellent with pasta. You can also spoon it over chicken and steak. Or use is as a sandwich spread. Or dip. The possibilities are wildly endless! Oh, and I lighten up my pesto recipes by adding a little stock to replace some of the oil.

Here's how to do it (add the finished pesto to 12 ounces cooked fusilli pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese):

Basil Pesto with Walnuts

1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Place the walnuts in a small dry skillet and set the pan over medium heat. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the nuts are golden brown and toasted, shaking the pan frequently. Transfer the nuts to a blender and add the basil, broth, and garlic. Process until finely ground, With the motor running, gradually add the oil and process until blended and smooth. Add the cheese and pulse just until blended (adding the cheese last ensures it doesn't melt if your blender gets hot). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Makes 1 cup





Freedigitalphotos.net, KEKO64

Comments