On a Mission for Friend... Cranberry-Walnut Muffins

So I was sitting quietly at my son's track meet this week and another boy's dad, who shall remain nameless (Joel) said, "Robin, do you bake?". I said, "I LOVE to bake, I just don't do it enough". He then told me about this amazing muffin he got at Ruby True, the take-out window of True Food in Scottsdale. He said it was a warm, chewy muffin with cranberries, walnuts and hints of cinnamon. He also thought it was vegan. I was intrigued, but not sure why he was asking. "Do you want me to try to recreate it?", I asked. "Are you up for the challenge?", he replied. If there's one thing everyone knows about me, it's that, when challenged, I immediately think Game ON. So the next day, I raced to Ruby True to see what the fuss was about...


Then, I raced to the grocery store to get what I thought I needed...


Joel forgot to mention that the muffins were also gluten-free. So gluten-free, vegan and delicious. That sounds easy enough, right?

To get started, I needed to create a vegan "egg". It's a simple blend of flax seed meal and water and it sits for 5 minutes. The combo helps bind and stiffen muffin batter (not quite as well as eggs, but close enough).

Then I mixed my dry ingredients...


Made a well in the center...

And added the "wet ingredients" - almond milk, apricot preserves, honey, olive oil, vanilla, and the flax eggs.

Then I folded in dried cranberries and walnuts...

The batter was scooped into a muffin pan and headed to the oven!

15 minutes later - voila! I think I did it! Now I need to get them to Joel while  they're still warm...


Cranberry Walnut Muffins with Olive Oil
Vegan, Gluten-Fee

2 tablespoons flax seed meal
5 tablespoons water
1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose baking mix
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine the flax seed meal and water. Mix well and let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the baking mix, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well with a whisk and make a well in the center.
Add the apricot preserves, almond milk, olive oil, honey, and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula.
Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.
Spoon 1/4 cup of the batter into the prepared muffin cups. If desired, press a few more cranberries into the top of the muffins.
Bake for 15 minutes, until a wooden pick comes out with little bits of batter clinging to it.
Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Makes 12 muffins





Comments