Happy Soft Pretzel Day! Cheddar-Stuffed Pretzel Knots

The official date for Soft Pretzel Day is Sunday April 26th. But, I'm excited and I wanted to share my recipe with you, so I'm posting early. 

When it comes to soft pretzels, I'm the world's biggest fan (or maybe I tie with my dad). I grew up in a Philadelphia suburb so I've had my share of the salt-crusted, chewy dough dunked in copious amount of yellow mustard. In fact, when I visit my parents, I always grab traditional “Philly” pretzels from Wawa, the northeast’s favorite mini-market. One nibble of that pretzel and I’m instantly brought back to lazy summer afternoons and Phillies games.

In honor of this fantastic day, I wanted to share my cheddar-stuffed pretzel knots with you. They're a breeze to prepare (thanks to store-bought bread dough) and they've got a hidden gem of sharp cheddar cheese nestled in the middle. Not a cheddar fan? You can tuck any cheese you want inside – in fact, you can insert lots of different things into a pretzel knot (olives, sundried tomatoes, pepperoni, ham, and more). 

Oh, and here's where to get FREE soft pretzels on Sunday! 
http://time.com/money/3833326/free-pretzels-national-pretzel-day/

Cheddar-Stuffed Pretzel Knots with Coarse Salt

Cooking spray
1 pound frozen bread dough, thawed according to package directions
4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 16 equal pieces
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
Separate the dough into 16 equal pieces. Roll each piece out to 1/4-inch thickness (work on a floured surface if the dough sticks). Place one piece of cheddar in the center of each piece of dough. Fold over the dough to cover the cheese. Pinch the dough together to seal. Pull out dough far enough to create a small knot. Place the knots on the prepared baking sheet, spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. 
Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

Makes 16 pretzels knots

Nutrition Info Per Serving (1 knot)
Calories: 102
Total Fat: 3 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Total Carbohydrate: 13 grams
Sugars: 0 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Sodium: 263 milligrams
Cholesterol: 7 milligrams
Fiber: 1 gram

Comments