Hurry, Last Few Hours...


Of National Waffle Day! Did I make it? Guess it depends on your time zone, but when I found out it was National "One of the Best Breakfasts in the World Day", I had to chime in! Plus, you can save the recipe for Saturday.

In my house, I make chocolate chip waffles every weekend. My boys like when I fill all the little indents with mini chocolate chips (right after I pull the waffles from the waffle iron). I mean every indent needs to be filled or they come back. Spoiled.

Anyway, since it's the 11th hour, I pulled one of my recipes from my Newlywed Cookbook. It's for pancakes, but the batter is exactly the same. You can add more flour to make the batter thicker, but you don't have to. To make waffles, simply pour the batter onto your preheated waffle iron and let 'er rip. Sprinkle the chips over top while the waffles are still hot.

Leftover waffles? Not a problem! Fill them with ice cream and toss them in the freezer. When sweet-tooth-pangs strike, drizzle over warm chocolate sauce or hot fudge!

Oh, want a gluten free version? Substitute gluten-free baking mix for the flour (you can leave the baking powder in the recipe). Everybody's happy now!




Chocolate Chip Pancakes and Waffles

Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
      3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 3⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tablespoons mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Coat a griddle, large non-stick skillet or waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, egg whites, and vanilla. Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients and whisk until almost smooth (ignore any small lumps).
Ladle 3 tablespoons of the batter onto the waffle iron, hot griddle or skillet (for each pancake or waffle). When making pancakes, spoon 1 teaspoon of the chocolate chips onto each pancake (when making waffles, add the chips just before serving, while waffles are still hot). For pancakes, when bubbles appear around the edges, flip and cook 1 minute.
Transfer waffles and pancakes to a warm plate and keep warm (in a 250˚F oven) while you cook remaining waffles and/or pancakes.




Photo: rakratchada torsap

Comments