Steamed Mussels in Coconut Curry Broth



I went to a restaurant last night (Stone & Vine) and a guy at the table next to me got a huge steaming bowl of mussels with a nice chunk of crusty bread. I love mussels and the dish reminded me of something I make. More Asian inspired, the mussels are steamed in a mild curry broth that's sweetened (just a tiny bit) with coconut milk. I've also used hot curry paste when I want a spicier version. Make sure to serve the mussels with bread, rice or Asian noodles so you can lick up every drop of the broth.

Steamed Mussels in Curried Coconut Broth
Serves 4

1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup light coconut milk
2 tablespoons mild curry paste
4 pounds mussels, washed and debearded
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Whisk together the broth, coconut milk and curry paste in a large skillet.  Set the pan over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer.  Add the mussels, cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, until all shells open (discard any that do not open).  Top with the cilantro just before serving.  

Nutrients per serving: Calories: 429, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 128mg, Carbohydrate: 19g, Protein: 55g, Fiber: 1g, Sodium: 1623mg

Comments