Some Days Just Call for Steak

Have you ever gotten up in the morning and thought, "Today feels like a steak day"? I did that today. I'm craving steak and I'm quite certain my boys won't say no to a juicy pieces of grilled beef. I don't even need to create a recipe or write one for you. I cook my steak very simply, with a kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, on my well-seasoned grill pan. I think the pan makes all the difference. I've had it for 10 years and every dish adds flavor to the next one in line. If you don't have a grill pan, you can get the same result with a well-loved cast iron skillet. As for those smashed potatoes - here's how to make those!

Smashed Yukon Gold Potatoes with Sour Cream and Chives
1 pound Yujon gold potatoes, peeled or unpeeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
2-4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup sour cream, or more as necessary for creamier potatoes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the potatoes in a large stock pot and pour over enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Set the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Boil 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Drain and return the potatoes and garlic to the pan. Add the sour cream, butter, mustard, and onion powder and smash until chunky (or smooth if you like it that way). Fold in the chives and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4






Suet Eman

Comments