Happy Friday!

I'm in a particularly good mood today - first because it's Friday, second because tomorrow is chock full of lacrosse games, flag football games and I'm teaching a cooking class (perfect day all around) and Sunday we've got paint ball battles and more flag football. If I had to jot down my dream weekend, this would be it. Call me crazy. A weekend in the Caribbean just isn't on my bucket list right now! I've got other things going on too, and I'll share them with you when I can! For now, sit back, relax and enjoy some warm miso soup - it's sure to put a smile on YOUR face too.


Sesame Miso Soup with Tofu and Scallions
I like to sear the tofu in this soup to add a nice caramelized taste to an otherwise bland ingredient.  You can skip this step but I think it’s a nice flavor-enhancer. 

Serves 4

Prep time: 5-10 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes

1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes
6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons miso paste, or more to taste
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (white and green parts)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.  Add the tofu and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown on all sides, stirring frequently.  Whisk together the broth, miso paste and sesame oil.  Add the mixture to the pan and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Add the scallions and simmer for 1 minute.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Nutrients per serving: Calories: 192, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Carbohydrate: 8g, Protein: 15g, Fiber: 2g, Sodium: 480mg




Comments