Midweek Munchies (Beyond Fudge)



I'll tell you why I'm craving these rice cakes right now. I've been making batch after batch of fudge... Last year, I gave fudge to my boys' teachers and they're STILL raving about it. In fact, one teacher said, "Kyle, since I have you for Science AND Home Room, does that mean I get 2 batches of fudge this year?" Ha Ha - I love it. But that also means I need to make a LOT of fudge - 12 teachers between my two boys. Plus, I make extra for the folks that hook me up every week (the pizza delivery guy, the employees at Petsmart's Doggy Day Camp, and so on).

So far, I've made fudge 3 ways: dark chocolate, dark chocolate with shaved white chocolate on top and chocolate-pecan. Even though I'm a die-hard chocoholic, I feel like cocoa is coming out of my pores. I want something SAVORY! And simple. These cakes are perfect: they're light and fresh and the burst of cilantro sends flavors soaring. I also love the Asian-inspired addition of soy and ginger. I could eat them as a main course, but you can certainly partner them with chicken, beef, pork, fish and shellfish. Now back to the fudge...


Cilantro Rice Cakes with Ginger-Soy Drizzle

Serves 4

Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes

1 1/2 cups cooked white or brown rice
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger

Combine the rice, egg and cilantro in a large bowl and mix well to combine.  Shape the mixture into four patties, each about 1 inch thick. 
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the patties and cook 3 to 5 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through.  Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Meanwhile, combine the soy sauce and ginger.  Serve the cakes with the soy mixture drizzled over top. 

Nutrients per serving: Calories: 137, Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 53mg, Carbohydrate: 18g, Protein: 4g, Fiber: 0g, Sodium: 623mg

Comments