Cure Everything Soup - And The Bad School Nurse

I got a call from the school nurse this morning. Kyle had a stomach ache. My kids NEVER go to the school nurse, so I knew he felt really bad (I've picked them up from school with raging fevers - they never complain). Anyway, she called AFTER she sent him back to class and said she gave him the "Four Point" test: Fever? No. Need to use the restroom? No. Eat a saltine cracker and see if that helps. No. Rest for 10 minutes and see if that helps. No. So, guess what? She sent him back to class. It seems that was always the plan, regardless of her "four point" system. Why bother doing the test? Oh, and Kyle said she never took his temp. I wish he would have tossed his cookies on her. Sorry, mama bear talking...

Anyway, I sent him a text and he said he was fine and wanted to stay for the rest of the day. What a trooper. Before I got the call, I was prepping a mozzarella calzone and barbecued chicken for dinner. After the call, I decided not to load his stomach up with cheese!

There are few things better than a bowl of noodles, broth, chicken, and vegetables. Call it soup. Call it stew. Call it pure comfort. Here's what I've got simmering on my stove:

Cure Everything Chicken and Egg Noodle Soup
Note: I like my soups VERY thick, like stew. If you want a brothy soup, eliminate the cornstarch.

12 ounces wide egg noodles
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon dried mustard powder
3-4 cups water
2-3 chicken bouillon cubes (my mom always fed me bouillon when I was sick - sub chicken broth for the water if you want)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup frozen peas
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until browned on all sides. Add the onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and mustard powder and stir to coat the chicken. Cook for 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant. Add 2 cups of the water and bouillon cubes (or 1 cup of chicken broth). Bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining cup of water. Add to the pan with the carrots, peas and cooked egg noodles. Cook for 2 minutes, until the liquid forms a thick, stew-like consistency (adding more water if you like thinner soup). Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4



FreeDigitalPhotos.net, tiramisustudio

Comments