Raw Bar Bounty and a Potato Salad for Your Next Picnic!

Last night, I ordered the MOST amazing British Colombian raw oysters at Steak 44 in Phoenix. It's hard to describe how fabulous they were - so fresh, it was like I plucked them straight from the sea. I stalled between each oyster, to prolong the fabulous-ness. And, I didn't want to lose any of that fresh, almost subtle smokey flavor, so I drizzled a tiny bit of their garlic-infused vinegar over top before sucking them down (no horseradish or cocktail sauce for miles). I swear, I could have eaten 100 of them.

If you're not a fan of raw seafood (my BFF Gabe sure isn't - LOL), here's a recipe using the smoked oysters from the market. I adore those too (I used to eat them as an afternoon snack growing up - straight from the can!). This salad would make a great addition to any weekend picnics you have planned!


Red Potato Salad with Smoked Oysters

2 pounds small red potatoes
2-3 Roma/plum tomatoes, diced
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup sliced black olives
2 cans (3.75-ounces each) smoked oysters, drained
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Place the potatoes in a large stock pot and pour over enough water to cover by 2 inches. Set the pan over high heat and bring the water to a boil. Boil for 12 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and when the potatoes are cool enough to handle, quarter them.
Transfer the potatoes to a large bowl and add the tomatoes, celery, onion, black olives, oysters, oil, vinegar, and parsley. Toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4


FreeDigitalPhotos.net, Tina Phillips


Comments