Goin' Bananas!


 I'm going bananas. Every parent of school-age kids knows one thing: the beginning of a school year is tense. I'm especially stressed this year because I pulled Luke from his regular public school and we're trying a new charter school down the road (don't get me started on why we're leaving the public school...). I wanted to make the move without hesitation, and not look back. But I can't stop wondering if I'm making the right decision? Will he be happy? Will the workload be overwhelming? Will he miss his friends (I'm sure he will, but I mean, REALLY miss his friends)? Should I just let him coast one more year at the old school; I mean it IS elementary school after all?

I'm sure in 20 years I won't remember this week of sleepless nights and clenched stomach muscles. At least I hope not. 

That brings me to bananas. The one treat that seems to calm everyone down in my house (including me), is my homemade banana bread. I'm not sure if the rumors about bananas reducing your heart rate are accurate, but I'll certainly give it a try. I also know that it's pure comfort and joy when you bite into the chewy, sweet goodness of my banana bread. Especially when I add chocolate chips. The recipe below is my standard, go-to recipe. If you want to add chocolate chips, add 1/2 cup of the mini semi-sweet morsels. If you want to make mini muffins, spoon the batter into mini muffin cups and bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes.

I'll let you know how school goes...and then maybe I'll sleep.



Super Moist Banana Bread

2 cups all-purpose flour
3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
4 large over-ripe bananas
1⁄4 cup milk (regular or nonfat)
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
non-stick cooking spray

1. Preheat oven to 350˚F.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix well with a fork and set aside.
3. In a large bowl or food processor fitted with the metal blade, mash bananas until mushy. Add milk, egg, and vanilla and mix or process until blended.
4. Add dry ingredients to banana mixture and mix or process until just blended. Pour batter into an 8-inch loaf pan that has been coated with non-stick spray.
5. Bake 1 hour, or until a knife or wooden pick inserted near the center comes out almost clean (little bits clinging to the knife or wooden pick mean the bread’s still moist). Cool in pan, on a wire rack, 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan and cool completely.

Makes 1 loaf (8 servings)



FreeDigitalPhotos.net, pakorn

Comments